A flat wheelbarrow or a slow leak tyre can be highly frustrating. Instead of inspecting the damage and root cause of the error, sometimes we just opt for the costly solution of tyre replacement, wheel assembly or even tossing out the wheelbarrow. Tbh, it is not unusual to see the discarded wheelbarrows at dumps and waste yards that could have been easily reused with the help of a minor wheelbarrow tyre repair or tube replacement. Buying and installing a new tyre or flat wheelbarrow tyre repair is an easy money-saving DIY project that tin be easily be attempted by anyone at home.
Tools required for wheelbarrow tyre repair
In order to remove and replace the tyre from the wheel, all you require is a large flat head screwdriver and a hand tyre pump moreover you would also need a spanner to remove the wheel and reassemble tyre from the wheelbarrow. It can easily be done by loosening one or both of the brackets that is holding the axle to the wheel. If you have a tubeless tyre with a puncture in the tread area then instead of a flathead screwdriver you would need a plug repair tool.
Wheelbarrow tyre repair or replacement
1. You can conduct a thorough visual inspection once the flat wheelbarrow tyre is off. Firstly, assess the wheel for damage and the tyre being the obvious resource of the leak. You must bill the amount of wear on the tread rubber and cracks in the tyre due to the dry rot. If the tyre is badly rotten with deep cracks in the side or that tread is worn and is unable to provide sufficient traction then you must consider buying a tyre replacement. A wheelbarrow tyre must cost between $15 and $40 which will be delivered right to your doorstep as compared to the $150 or more for a new wheelbarrow. If the wheelbarrow is in good condition then a tyre replacement can make it work more efficiently like a new one. Pakka!
2. If the source of the leak is not easily detectable on a tubeless tyre (like a whole or object stuck in the tread) you need to inflate the tyre to identify the source of leakage. If the tyre is completely flat and would not easily seat against the wheel flange then you must tighten a rope on the outside of the tyre to push the tubeless tyre against the wheel and get a good seal. You may need a new wheel if the wheel is severely bent however small dents in the wheel flange usually do not cause any big problems, particularly for the tube type tires. Inserting a tube into a tubeless tyre and assembling a wheel is a cheaper alternative to buying a new wheel even if it has leakage and damaged the wheel and tyre itself.
3. In case of a tube type tyre, the tyre must be removed from the rim. As shown in the video, use the flat head screwdriver to pry the tyre off the rim. Once one parting of the tyre is over the wheel flange, the other will easily twist off the wheel. Turn the wheel over and repeat for the other side. Be careful; don't pinch the tube between the screwdriver and the wheel flange. A tubeless tyre can often be repaired by leaving the tyre on the wheel and using a plug. It is a much easy method to repair a hole in a tubeless tyre but it takes some specialized equipment. Here’s video on how to plug a tubeless tyre. The tyre and wheel are ready to be reinstalled onto the wheelbarrow once the tyre is plugged and the plug is trimmed.
4. Once the tube is removed, it tin be inflated and submerged into a bucket of water to identify the source of leakage. The bubbles would identify even pinpricks from the thorns which would otherwise be very difficult to see. With the help of fine grit sandpaper or a wood file, the area around the hole should be properly roughened up. The area of repairing must be coated with rubber cement and then the patch should be applied. If the tube cannot be repaired but the wagon is still in a good condition then you must consider buying a new replacement tube. Wheelbarrow would cost under $10 which is the fraction of the cost of a new wheelbarrow, tyre, and wheel.
5. Once the tube repair has fully been done, it is time to reinstall the tyre and tube on the wheel. Firstly, insert the deflated tube in the tyre and reposition one side of the tyre that into the wheel. at this point, in case of a tube type tyre , you would position the tube valve into the wheel hole and as it gets aligned the other half tin be pried on the tyre .
6. The tyre tube is now ready to be in related to the PSI as suggested on the side of the tyre. Fasten the entire wheel, assemble the tyre to the wheelbarrow and replace the axle.
Buying replacement tires buying replacement tires if wheelbarrow tyre is beyond repair
If your flat wheelbarrow tyre or tube is highly damaged and worn out to be repaired then Tyres-online.in is the best option to buy inexpensive wheelbarrow tires. They have a large variety of wheelbarrow tires at the best and lowest prices. They are armed with various tyre sizes. You can easily find your replacement tyre with the conveniently fast ordering and shipping services directly to your doorstep.